Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Classes & Races > Huxley Classes

Huxley Classes
Sub Forums:
Avenger - Enforcer - Phantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

zeekgenateer is on a distinguished road
Default Squads

Here's how I see a squad set up. A ratio of 1 Enforcer, 1 Phantom, and 4 Avengers. With the Enforcers if there were more than one, working in pairs to watch each others backs. Phantoms would work in mostly ones, maybe twos and watch the back and protect the flank of the squad. Also being able to take out groups of enemies when the other parts of the squad need help. Avengers would cover the Enforcer in front as well as keep an eye on their Phantom, who is their eyes on the battlefield.

In building fights (offensive):
Enforcer bursts open the doors and takes the lead soaking up bullets. The Avengers would go second most likely spread out and watching the flanks. Last the Phantom would take the rear with a shorter range weapon than normal. The Phantom would take out enemies behind cover or help take out an enemy Enforcer who surprises the squad.

Building fights (Defensive):
I see defensive fights as being extremely important. If you can't hold onto the ground you've gained during a couterattack what good was the attack? Here's the strategy: Enforcers hole up in side passages and around corners hoping to take enemies off guard. Avengers would most likely help the enforcers and also try and keep more enemies from entering the building. The Phantom would work on flanking the enemy silently and stelthily. Crawling through ductwork and also sniping those that would enter the building.

Open area defensive:
Field fortifications will be greatly important to the defending side to slow the tide of the enemy. Trenches, low walls, mounted guns, and camo sniper spots will increase the likelihood of stopping the enemy offensive. Enforcers and Avengers would take to the trenches, however some enforcers would be held in reserve for the counter attack. Phantoms would snipe incoming Enforcers, enemy officers and other phantoms.

Open area offensive:
Speed is of the essence. You must rout the enemy out of their fortifications before reinforcements can arrive if the battle is to be worth it. Enforcers charge in front taking damage because at this range they can't hit anything. Avengers move behind them stopping and firing at intervals then running to the next spot while other comrades lay down supressing fire. Some Phantoms would stay farther back and snipe from spots they had found. Others would come behind the Avengers aiding fire where it is needed to take out snipers and heavy areas of firing.

Another tactic would be the Blitzkrieg. The advancing forces go around pockets of enemy resistance and cut them from the main body of the enemy, where they could be picked off easily. This is probably going to be the best strategy, but the hardest because the troops must know to pass the areas of heavy fighting and just cut off their enemy instead of charging headlong into them.
Old 29-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Untamed98 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Squads

That sounds pretty good. Thats 1 reason Im gonna love Huxley all the strategy that will go in it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tulustan is on a distinguished road

I hope that there will be alot of strategy and that looks awsome zeek
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks Tulustan.

I also thought about the ranks of people. I think that squad leaders should be mostly Avengers, because they are up front fighting, but also not always in the thick of it. Phantoms would most likely be the commanders and higher up on the chain, because they are not constantly in combat and give strategic orders without worrying to much about getting jumped. I don't know about Enforcers though, they seem to me a little unorthodox to regular fighting because of their similarity to a light armored walking tank. As I said I see them working in pairs and probably one would be giving the squad leader or the commander data on their part of the front lines.

And talking about rank brings me to promotion. Promotion is usually hard in clans because, from what I have seen, the most effective are not promoted, but the ones in the clan longest get the promotion. I don't see this as a good thing. Yes newer people to the clan should not just instantly become an officer, but those in the clan that are good at leadership and squad tactics should be promoted not the the next person who's been in the clan the longest without a promotion.

The qualities in a squadleader should be quickthinking, decisive action and the respect of his squadmates. Also a squadleader should take orders with some question, but not too much. If they see something wrong with the command they should tell their commander, but they do not know the extent of the battle, and should be able to take commands without too much hesitation (I'm taking these qualites mostly from Ender's game and the squads formed in the little armies).

The commander must also think on his feet but in more depth and less quickly. They have an entire battle to command and cannot hold the hand of a slow squadleader; they must examine the battle to know where to apply force and when to back off as to not rack up too many casulties. As this is a MMOFPS, dead and dying men and body counts are not as important as in real wars, but if a couple squads take heavy damage in the same area, the commander risks a breakthrough in that area. Above all the commander must take steps to command the battle, he can not be the reactive force but make the enemy react to him, by flanking, air drops behind enemy lines, special force insertion and other tactics that will hinder the enemy to allow more time for more calculated moves on the commanders part.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tulustan is on a distinguished road

Good points but about the promotion that depends on who is in charge and the clan. I think that playing stratigic games would help out the commander or at least get used to telling people where they need to be. Also it helps to know people playing styles especially in gears so you can tell them to go off by themselfs and you know they will do fine. Or keep some people in support positions becuase you know that they play better with other people around them.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good points, playing style does affect how far they should be promoted.

(God lol you can see how obsessed I am with this topic. I lead a clan that's extremely small and I'm a sniper. No large fights just small maps. I find it's most helpful to never stay in one place and to keep moving HINT TO ALL CAMPING IDIOTS)
Old 29-03-2007, 03:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Decent_xVICIOUSx is on a distinguished road

but ther 100v100 maps small squads yes small battles HELL NO i will persoanlly be a big bad enforcer wit my minigun blazin and i disagree with the avenger being squad leader i think any1 should be able 2 be 1
Old 29-03-2007, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes anyone could be one, but I see that an Avenger would be more suited. The Avenger would be able move faster (if armor weight hindered movement), and wouldn't go in first, like an Enforcer would, so he would have more time to give commands and to think, which is important in fighting.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sephina is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't surprise me if that is the case, however it's been stated that all classes can use all weapons just some use some weapons better than others... at any rate I'm going to be enforcers =)

- Sephie
Old 29-03-2007, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

HELLZ YEA ENFORCERS
Old 29-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Emperor of the Forum

Ghos7 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, why do phantoms need to be kept an eye on? They'll probably be invisible. And their loners. Avengers need to keep an eye on each other too.

Quote:
And talking about rank brings me to promotion. Promotion is usually hard in clans because, from what I have seen, the most effective are not promoted, but the ones in the clan longest get the promotion. I don't see this as a good thing. Yes newer people to the clan should not just instantly become an officer, but those in the clan that are good at leadership and squad tactics should be promoted not the the next person who's been in the clan the longest without a promotion.
With this, I plan on loosely watching everyone in my clan. When it looks like someone has done good in my clan, than I challenge that person to a 5v5 match and study his effectivness as a squad leader. In my opinion, that's how everyone should do it.

Last edited by Ghos7; 29-03-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 29-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghos7
With this, I plan on loosely watching everyone in my clan. When it looks like someone has done good in my clan, than I challenge that person to a 5v5 match and study his effectivness as a squad leader. In my opinion, that's how everyone should do it.
Speaking of this how would you have a match or testing ground in your clan. And you you be able to have clan wars with clans in your faction?
Old 29-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

idk about 5v5 in huxley it should be like 50v50 if a clan has enough ppl
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

187 Phantom is on a distinguished road

50v50 is hell to organize
Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

naggs is on a distinguished road

often times clans live or die not on how often they win but on how they deal with up and comers. if all the new people feel that they are permanently stuck on the b team, they will get frustrated and leave. and if you cant work new people in, you only get to play when everyone is online. its just a matter of time till a core member gets a new hours at their job and the clan dies.

its important to have 1 person making decisions out there, if you have to have a 30 sec discussion about everything, your going to loose. being a leader is a skill, being a follower is a skill. its more important to have decisions being made than those decisions be absolutly correct. never in any game has a group done well when the 'leader' askes everyone what they should do. it always turns out bad.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

187 Phantom is on a distinguished road

lol you must be part of that 'axis of evil' that doesnt believe in democracy
Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emperor of the Forum

Ghos7 is on a distinguished road

"Axis of Evil"? If I'm the Emperor of my clan, and don't believe in giving other people power, does that mean I'm part of the "Axis of Evil"?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dynatics is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Dynatics

I love your whole squad idea zeek.
If you're going to be a Alternative Race i'll be happy to join you with my Alternix Phantom.

I think i'll be the one who takes orders better than being squad leader.
I think i like to concentrate more on the battle itself, being ( well not yet ) Phantom and all.

-Dynatics
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Grind is on a distinguished road

I Like all the stuff about the squads, and I really can't wait to join a clan when the game comes out. I love setting up strategies and all that with my team mates.

Not sure, if I want to be an avenger or an enforcer. I can't help but like the idea of being an enforcer and having someone say "unleash him on the enemy" or something like that lol. We'll see though.

I'm curious to see what the bases that we will be attacking and defending will look like. If they would be more like apartments with lots of rooms and a long hallway. Or like some planetside bases with a bunch of tunnels and a few main rooms.

anyone think an avenger could literaly take cover behind an enforcer and shoot over his shoulder or something? Like have 4 enforcers walking shoulder to shoulder, and have some avengers and phantoms right behind them shooting just past their heads.

That might work if you were either in a tight defensive spot with no real cover, or if you were trying to get across a large open field. It would be cool to see at least
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well that phalanx thing could work, but it would be in my opinion a waste of soldiers. Squads working together and not hiding behind one another would have less deaths and would kill more. Also, how would you see around an Enforcer, they're pretty big you know.